Play How-To Video
Cool out this summer with this fruity ice pop made with fresh watermelon and strawberries. Lavender simple syrup adds sweet complexity without detracting from the summer fruit flavor. It’s really easy to make at home using a simple block ice tray… and it’s a fun activity for kids!
Lavender Sweetened Watermelon Ice Pop with Muddled Strawberries
Yields 6 – 8
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar + 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ cup culinary lavender
- ½ small watermelon, diced
- 10 strawberries, diced
- block ice tray or ice pop molds (yielding 6 – 8 pieces)
- 6 – 8 ice pop sticks
- In a small pot, make a simple syrup by combining water and sugar over medium heat. Stir sugar until it dissolves.
- Add culinary lavender, stir to combine. Turn off heat. Cover and steep lavender in simple syrup for 15 minutes.
- Place diced watermelon into a food processor. Blitz until fully pureed. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add lavender simple syrup to watermelon juice, stir to thoroughly combine.
- Strain watermelon juice through a sieve, pressing the juice through the sieve with a spatula to remove and discard any remaining seeds. Set aside.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar over diced strawberries. Muddle into a chunky mash.
- Transfer watermelon juice to a measuring cup with a spout. Add 2 – 3 spoonfuls of muddled strawberries to the measuring cup.
- Using a spoon, evenly distribute remaining muddled strawberries into a 6 – 8 piece block ice tray (or ice pop molds). Pour watermelon juice evenly into the block ice tray.
- Cover the block ice tray tightly with aluminum foil.
- Poke flat horizontal slits through aluminum foil using a paring knife.
- Carefully insert ice pop sticks through the slits.
- Freeze overnight. Enjoy!